In the 1970s, Bennie Salazar was the bassist in a San Francisco punk band, the Flaming Dildos. Decades later, he finds his career as a record executive and his relevance in the industry are slowly fading — while his tastes remain the same, the music scene and the technology that creates it change rapidly around him. Sasha is his younger assistant, loyally keeping an increasingly forgetful Bennie on track, but struggling with her own aimlessness and a bad pick-pocketing impulse.
Each chapter of the book is its own brilliantly crafted story, offering perspective on peripheral characters from Sasha’s college friend Rob, to Bennie’s destitute former bandmate Scotty, to an entire chapter laid out as a PowerPoint presentation by Sasha’s daughter, Alison. Moving from the 1970s to the 2020s and several places in between, Goon Squad shows how every encounter has the potential to change a life’s direction, but no matter what you do, time is the one goon you can never avoid.
This Bookclub-in-a-Box PDF discussion guide (90 pages) for Jennifer Egan's novel A Visit From the Goon Squad includes:
• Coverage of the novel's themes, symbols, characters, and writing style
• Background information on the novel and the author's life
• Important quotes from the novel
• Book club discussion questions
• An exclusive Q&A with the author, Jennifer Egan, about time, the music industry, and winning the Pulitzer Prize
• A chapter-by-chapter breakdown of the novel's timeline and a visual character web
Discussion guide does not include the novel itself. This product is a PDF file — if you do not receive an email receipt with download link within a few minutes of completing your order, check your spam folder, then contact us.